Stuff….lots going on

Well so much for my great ambition of getting back into blogging more frequently this summer. Where did the summer go?

First of all, I must point out that I have extended the deadline of submissions for my next book until September 20. I know there are a few of you who were trying to get something submitted but were having a hard time doing it with summer vacations and the kids going back to school. So now you have a bit more time 🙂 I will choose the contributing designers by the end of September and you will be notified by email. Thank you to everyone who has submitted stuff already – you guys are so talented, I love seeing all your awesome mini albums!

Another reason I haven’t blogged in a bit is that this last month has been a sad month for me. When I’m sad, I just don’t feel like blogging. In fact, it’s hard for me to even spend much time at all on the computer. Plus this summer has been incredibly busy at work and I’m so exhausted when I get home, all I want to do is pass out on my bed. Which is usually what happens almost right after I get home.

Why was it sad? A couple people dear to my heart passed away. First my godfather passed away. He was an amazing man and will be very deeply missed. One of my dad’s very best friends since they were kids, he was like an uncle to me. My godparents were there throughout my entire childhood, my entire life. I have so many fond memories of our two families spending time together. 2 days after my godfather passed away, my ex-husband passed away. This came as a big shock to me. Needless to say, it’s been an emotional time. My parents went to both funerals in the same weekend, and I so badly wanted to be there with them. I’ve been feeling homesick enough as it is but this month has been especially hard for that.

But let’s see, other things I’ve been doing…..well working mostly. I did make it into downtown Chicago for the first time with a couple of my friends one day. It was a lot of fun! We did the touristy thing and visited Navy Pier and the Buckingham Fountain, and walked around. I LOVE big cities so I can’t wait until we get to go down there again.

Apartment living is, well….OK. Our apartment is very tiny and it seems the more reptiles and therefore, terrariums we add to our little family, the smaller our living room becomes. We just got a Flemish Giant rabbit last week and she’s only 5 months old but she’s already bigger than our dog Moose, and she’s going to get MUCH bigger. She does have a cage but since she’s so big, she needs a lot of exercise. When we are home, we let her run around the apartment, and we finally found a harness that fits her, so we can now start taking her for walks too. Speaking of walks, Zoey got sprayed by a skunk on one of our late night jaunts a couple weeks ago. It was after a long exhausting day at work, and we both fell asleep watching tv. I woke up at midnight and staggered outside with all 3 dogs…still half asleep so I wasn’t really holding onto the leashes that tight. Shame on me. There was a skunk outside the door to our building and even though I didn’t see it, Zoey sure did. She took off running after it and her leash went right out of my hand. I chased her through the pitch blackness (yeah and running after a completely black dog too didn’t help much) until I finally caught up with her when the skunk jumped a chain link fence, and that’s when I saw the white stripe on the skunk. Of course that’s also when I started to SMELL it. Lovely. And even lovelier was the smell of our apartment once I brought the dogs back in. I put stinky Zoey in the bathroom and jumped on my laptop to google the best way to get rid of the skunk smell. After finding a remedy and realizing not only did we have no baking soda in the apartment, but we didn’t have hydrogen peroxide either. ugh. Steve woke up at this point and asked what was going on. We ended up having to make a quick trip to the 24 hour Walgreens down the street to get supplies. We also needed a bucket so we had to get a kids beach pail as that was all they had.


We rushed back home and almost passed out from the horrid smell when we walked through the front door. Zoey was still in the bathroom, which smelled FANTASTIC by now. We mixed up the anti-skunk solution and gave her a bath at 1am. Amazingly, it worked. In the morning she didn’t smell like skunk one bit, and by the time we got home from work the next day, our apartment did not smell like skunk either. So if your dog gets hit by a skunk, try this recipe as it worked for us:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup baking soda, 2 tbls liquid soap.

Mix it all together in a bucket and pour entire bucket over the dog. Wearing rubber gloves, work the solution into the fur and let it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse well.

No this cute little skunk was not the skunk that sprayed Zoey. This is Stinker, one of the skunks I get to walk, play with and look after at work. She couldn’t spray even if she wanted to as she doesn’t have scent glands anymore.

This is Stinker’s sister, Flower, who is an albino skunk.

One of my favorite animals at work, a baby mountain coati.

How many people get to walk an arctic fox at work?

taking an albino burmese python for a walk. I have grown to love snakes so much.


So that’s a little of what has been going on around here. I will be back tomorrow with some scrapbooking news!